The 2019 edition will be held by Rich Flint so go to his web site for more information. It is www.oldschoolultras.com
CAUTION: If you do not like to run on roads then this is not the run for you.
CAUTION: If you are uncomfortable running along roads with heavy traffic pick LOST instead.
The course starts at the boat ramp and head towards Yankeetown on the only road out there, County Road 40. At the intersection of County Road 40 and 40A turn right(east). Stay on County Road 40 through Yankeetown and Inglis, waving at the gawkers if you are in the mood. You will come up to the intersection of State Roads 19/98 and continue east on 40. Keep hoofing it and, just outside of Dunnellon, at the Dunnellon Christian Academy, you will turn left onto Powell Road, go four blocks, then turn left, again, onto Route 41 . The Dunnellon Christian Academy is the 20 mile check point.
After you finish your round of golf at the Rainbow Springs Golf & Country Club continue North to Rainbow Springs Blvd, which is the beginning of State Route 40. You will be turning right. This is the last turn on the course so if you feel a need to turn ignore it.
Before you know it you will come to Ocala. Route 40 is Silver Springs Blvd. West Silver Springs Blvd will become East Silver Springs Blvd and start heading northeast to, you guessed it, Silver Springs.
Continue East on Route 40 to the town of Lynne. You are in Ocala National Forest country now and will be for quite a stretch.
Wildcat Lake is at mile 78.5 and if I am in a good mood a place where I will make some black bean quesadillas for you to prepare for the descent into Astor, which is in the St. John’s River basin. Oh it is, also, the “80” mile check point.
Just as you are about to leave the forest you’ll pass through Astor and start climbing up for the next 12 miles.
Next stop is Barberville and another long section to I-95 and Timber Creek Plaza.
Route 40 is called W. Granada Blvd so follow it, pass across U.S.1, the causeway, after which Granada becomes East Granada Blvd, and stop to say “hi!” at the corner of S. Atlantic Avenue(A1A) and Grenada. This is where the timing stops but you are not finished. Cross A1A, go up the ramp and down to the beach. Dip you toes in the Atlantic and you have finished.
Directions To The Start Of The Route 40 Romp
- Get on I-75 and head towards Ocala. Take the Route 40 Exit to the west, heading towards Dunnellon.
- Just above Dunnellon the road deadends into Route 41. Turn left and head South to Dunnellon.
- Go through Dunnellon and, where the roads splits with N. Florida Avenue bearing left and W. Dunnellon Road bearing right, go to your right.
- Follow to N. Suncoast Blvd(Rtes19/98) and turn right, heading to Inglis.
- Once in Inglis turn left onto CR 40 and follow through both Inglis and Yankeetown.
- West of Yankeetown the road scatters several ways. You can get on SE Allen Park Road, SE 193rd Place, 63rd Street, or CA 40. Bear left onto CA 40 and follow to the end. Park near the pavilions on your right. The start will be at the boat launch.